Friday, January 1, 2010

into my world...

"If it ain't broke, break it and then fix it," --> me.

So I woke up one day last month seeing the all the destruction of my so-called "art" in my room. A portion of the wall's paint were peeling off because of my genius attempt at making a mural out of homemade paint - flour and food coloring. But it turned out nice - at first. I know my mom wasn't happy about it so it's no wonder she easily granted my christmas wish for '09, a bucket of paint.

2010. The year of reinvention. Redoing my room is just part of it, or maybe the whole. Anyway, planning the project was the most fun part, especially when visualizing the end result with this website for a reference: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yourself/paint_colors/visualizer/ It's probably one of the coolest sites I've discovered. All you gotta do is take a picture of your room, upload it in the site and then try on different colors that suits your room. Very cool. But that was only the in the beginning, coz I realized that in the middle of it all my head was just bloated with expectations. I had to do the dirty hard work for more than week! I had to evacuate to my sister's room along with my things and then rub all sides of the wall with sandpaper. Who knew that that was how repainting was done. Nonetheless, with all my capitalized EFFORT, I have to say that the end part was very satisfactory.

****
My precious wall.


Aside from the repainting stuffs, I was also excited with the shelves. It's just a wood attached to a bracket that I've seen a lot in design magazines, and I figured that they're really useful in organizing stuffs. It also saves a lot of space. I've done this in our altar/library earlier this year and I just fell inlove with it. It's addicting. I'm even thinking of putting one more in my room and a lot in the house. But it's my Mother's house so I have my limitations.

Speaking of Mom, that net aquarium was my joint project with her. I saw this movie Man of the House when I was a kid and all I could remember was this net on the wall where they hang the driftwoods and stuffs that they found on the shore. I told my Mom about it years ago so we made this together. She knew what a beach bum I am and the stones and shells I collect from every island in the country I go to, so it's a cool way of putting my up my memorabilias.

That's one of the things my mom and I bond on. We like to create stuffs. In fact the man candle holder and the vase wire on the top shelf was her design when she was still in the design business. I think it's one of her few remaining rejects that I just polished and wrapped in tiny abaca ropes. They say creativity is in our genes, but I say it's boredom. We just get bored easily that crazy ideas just pop in our heads out of the blue and often times we tend to leave things undone. Yes, it's a miracle I finished painting my room. haha.

I looooove my bed.

The first thing that I miss when I'm away from home is my bed. NO KIDDING. There's no comfort greater in the world than my bed, no matter how uncomfortable others may think it is. It used to be the bed in the service quarters in the family's old house, but when we transferred, it served as a temporary bed in my room till it became permanent coz I wouldn't let go of it. The bed's foam used to be so thin from old use and I was even pissed when my Mom changed it with the thicker one (that I have now) without my permission. Still it wouldn't change the fact that I heart this cheap bamboo bed.

The paintings. A childhood dream of mine was to really be an artist. I think I was frustrated in that department that there was a phase in my young life when all I did was paint. I started with the used Camel watercolors from my older sisters, and moved on from there. Our parents were really keen in honing our so-called talents. I remember when we were kids, every summer my Mom would request her friends or a relative to teach us how to do charcoal or paint. It was just passing then my dad enrolled me in the summer painting program at UP where I was introduced to oil painting. Again I was hooked - for a while. And those 2 paintings in my room were among the very few products that phase in my life. But I love painting still, and anything that involves paint. No wonder why I painted my room. :)

Books and Organizing.

For a clutz like me, I can be very obsessive about organizing MY stuffs. Weird, but again that's just in the beginning. But I usually reorganize my stuffs every now and then coz I kinda get bored seeing the same arrangement over a period of time. I really have a problem with stability. haha.

I used to hate books, to its very core! I used to have difficulty reading, I was a slow learner and words were just not my BFF. The turning point was when I was in highschool. My sisters have this very thick Judith Mcnaught novels that I always criticized, but one time when I got sooooo bored I attempted reading it and the rest is history. Sometimes I always make sure to have an extra book on hand because by the time I end with a really good book I would immediately want to have another one. It's like a thirst that just can't be quenched. But when the book is really bad that's the time I would have hiatus from reading and pick up another book for after a few weeks or pick up the same book after a year/s. An example of which is Sophie's world. I've had it since 2006 and I've probably had 5 attempts at it, and every attempt would mean starting to read from the very beginning coz I always forget where I left off. That's why I took that book as my ultimate challenge for this year, I really really have to finish it. All in all books are nice. Not only do they feed the brain they also make nice accents to the room :)

***
They say you can tell so much about a person just by looking at his belongings. But I say you can tell so much about me because I blogged so. haha!

Anyway my room got fixed, but I don't know for how long till I break it again. another 2010 challenge.

4 comments:

  1. basin ang Boredom imo BFF! haha..

    bisita nya kos imo newly redesigned room! and i love your bed too! 8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cge gow tell me when... naay sobra tequilla janjan diri ahehehe.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hooooi feeling nko sad BOREDOM imu BFF! hahaha SHORT ATTENTION SPAN, ADHD man ka uy! kabaw ka, you inspired me again!!! dugay na ga ingon jaec na iya i-paint ako room pero, gasto bya and all diba? pero bec of this.. mmmmmmmmmm acoconcepts!!! work on my room. GOOD JOB!!! unsa? mag artist najud ka this year? ehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. hoooyyy!!! mingaw nako ninyo!! sheettt.. see you Sinulog or saturday before that! murag naa diay kog duty igka gabii sa Sinulog. tsk, tsk..

    ReplyDelete