Tuesday, May 25, 2010

dumaguete to APO island is loooove....

When you are living in a country with 7,107 islands, depending on how high or low the tide is, it makes sense not to go back to the same place again and again. But like everything else, there's always an exception, and that is Dumaguete....

I got acquainted with Dumaguete because of the pizza that my friend Gayle raved about. And as haughty toity as it may sound, I only went to Dumaguete to eat pizza - 2 SLICES OF PIZZA with a service water to be exact. This has nothing to do with my being a cheapow, I was just shamelessly poor and so were my friends whom I shared slices with. On the brighter side at least I got to taste the pizza, however, I can never tell if it was really that good because my tastebuds were constantly cleansed by the service water that I had to drink to fill my hunger. But if you must ask, the service water was indeed very satisfying...

Aside from the service water, what really draws me to Dumaguete is it's humble charm. For a T-shirt, shorts and tsinelas girl like me, I could totally blend in there. I laaahvet! Plus I left my heart in Apo Island so that pretty much explains why I'll always make Dumaguete as an exception to my self imposed policy.

****
May 22-24, 2010

KUMUSTA DUMAGUETE?....

This is the 3rd time I've been to the City of the Gentle People and the 1st with my goirls. Left the Cebu South Bus Terminal @ 7am bound for Lilo-an, Santander and arrived at Sipalan after a 15 min fast craft ride and finally reached Dumaguete City in time for lunch. Had a not so yummy lasangna at SANSRIVAL but was compensated by their uber famous delicious-Oh! desert - the Sylvanna.


Shortly after lunch and after abusing our hospitable host, tita Gwen, she then brought to us to the falls to cool our warm bodies. Made a short stop at the....

HOLY SMOKIN' ROCKS!!!


Literally that mountain of rocks were smokin' hot that it's boilin' water and smellin' nasty. I haven't seen anything like it. I don't know what the geological explanation behind it is, but all I know is that you're guaranteed a hard boiled egg in 15 mins. if you put an egg in its water. Amazing right? But the smell is really bad, but not bad enough to stop us from posing for pictures.

PULANG BATO FALLS


The rocks on this falls are of normal color and so are the other falls in the area where the warm blooded people swam to cool their warm bloods off. But I don't why among the many other normal falls we chose to swam in this...



murky looking falls that tasted a bit like rotten iron. Maybe we just wanted a different colored falls for a change or maybe we were just being selfish to want our own private falls so we didn't have to share it with others. Either way we got what we wanted. We were the only ones freely swimming and climbing on the rocks there. But weirdly enough, we were able to draw spectators among the locals and I only have 2 theories for that. It's either they were mesmerized by the bikini clad monkeys or they knew that that falls has sulfuric content and that we are nuts for jumping in there. Since it was too late to realize the possible dangers of the water, we just comforted ourselves with the fact that Dr. Wong's Sulfur soap is selling like hotcakes so there's no need to worry.

BACK TO THE CITY...


The city is such a small place that it would really be pathetic if you'd still get lost. That's also why I like Dumaguete because even if I still confuse myself with my right or left (that's how big time my sense of direction sucks!), I could still get to wherever I wish to go.

Since it was the last day of the Flores de Mayo, we encountered a parade of trikes on our way to the cathedral. They said that the city usually invites local artistas for their Sta. Cruzan, and we thought that the parade of trikes was already it, but our jolog hopes were immediately dampened when we found out that that was all there was to it, a parade of tricycles. At least we got a picture with the trike.

Day 1 ends

****
Day 2 begins

APO ISLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


The main purpose of our trip was to bask in this beautiful wonder! I looooove Apo Island. My second time to be there and I have a strong feeling that I'll fall more madly inlove with it every time. It just takes my breath away!


 
I haven't been to the rest of the Philippines, but I can definitely say that this is my favorite island outside Cebu. The rock formations is SPECTACULAR! the crystal clear water is HYPNOTIC! and the diverse marine life is just absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

 
That makes this island so great is the number of activities offered. Being one of the best dive spots in the country and the world, I failed in my promise to go diving the second time I got there. Being a poor miser who's still saving for that diving license and being a cheapow who's allergic to the rates of their discovery dives, I settled for snorkeling which was very addicting.

Snorkeling even in the shallow waters of the island could easily make you forget about the human world. It's like being drawn to the scaly, thrilling and colorful world of fishes and corals. Much more when you're in the marine sanctuary wherein it is just bursting with marine life. It's a magnificent close encounter down there and if lucky you'd be snorkeling with a bunch of Pawikans (turtles).

There's also rock climbing for the adrenaline junkies and the lazying in the sand for the, well, lazy. I like the fact that the island is well protected and that there is a visible cooperation between the leaders and the community. The fees are also well regulated from the banka to the entrance fees and etc. It only gets annoying when there are locals following you around for the fees of this and that. If they could just package all the expenses together then it would be a lesser hassle for the visitors, especially those on a budget like... must I mention who?!

Again, I LOOOOOVE APO ISLAND, and promise-cross-my-heart-hope-to-die the next time I go there I would definitely be diving.

****
FOOOOOD


Only in Dumaguete will you find the places that I am about to give a thumbs up.

1. Cafe Antonio. The self proclaimed best in city, is quite true. Among the other food place I've been to it's this quaint homey cafe that made the most impact on me. I'm not a foodie person so what really attracted me to it was the ambiance and the price (again cheapow talking!).

2. Manang Sioning. For a night, I had something in common with the Silimanians. I ate the pink barbecue of Manang Sioning. Initially, the yet to be grilled pink colored BBQ was not very attractive but once it's grilled and served, it's oh sooo yummy! I have to say that it's even better than the ones at Larsian in Cebu.

3. SANSRIVAL. The home of the famous pasalubong ng Dumaguete, Sylvannas. I don't have a sweet tooth so I'll just recommend this place to those who has one.

Then Mama Mia, still for desserts and coffee and Hayahay for the weekend drinking session.

But personally, there's only one food that I would highly recommend, that is ....

BALOT @ Boulevard

Now this is the food that is distinctly famous in Dumaguete. Just walk around the boulevard and you'll always find the balot hot hairy and waiting for you. eeeewwww2x! people must really cure their eeeewwwwness by trying one of these. YUM! ;)

FIGHTING SCENES


I don't know how it got started but Gayle and I got addicted to the fighting shots. From the park to the port we always had to have the fighting jump shots. Or you could say that wherever Kymoi and her cam is, we always had to have those jump shots. Thank God for your clickin' timin' talent moi.

SALAMAT OPSIMAS


Gayle Opsima, please extend my deepest thanks Popo Opsima, 2 tita Opsimas, and your little sister tita Gwen for accommodating us. Fine I'll hitch you, thank you tooo! ;) Your hospitality certainly made us stay on the budget. haha. Thanks muchos!

****
7,000++ islands more to go...so where to next?... ;)

6 comments:

  1. na pressure na ko! HAHA.. ako nalang humanon ako. .. ehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha... dapat lang bal... nyahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. grabeha ka comprehensive o! haha.. nindot, Lay. pang-Patty kaayo na style!

    erratum though: Sibulan, not Sipalan. Manang Siony's, not Sioning (sino ba si Sioning?! haha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shet! i can never be a reliable source! hahahaha.....

    there can only be one patty.. and i can never be her.. unless naa koi "beebee" ATOM!.... nyahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahahhahaha karun rako ka read ani! hahahahahahhahahaha lage! typo sa iyang facts. tsssk!!! hahahahah mabuhay tayong apat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahaha... ako sad kapoy na ug edit... oi..
    edit nasd ko balik kai murag ni lapas na ako pics! stick to large nlng ko ani... hasula this blog bai! nyahaha

    ReplyDelete