Saturday, August 13, 2011

never too late for brilliante...



 It's the ...


And let 08/04/11 be marked as the day of  my red carpet "devirginization" ( if there is such a word). Special thanks to my dear amazing friend Mayang and to her amazing relative connections. Because without her relatives she wouldn't be there, and without her, I wouldn't be there...

Understandably, I had no idea as to what the dos and don'ts of a red carpet thing is, but figured that as long as we torture our feet for a couple of hours in heels then we could pass off as red carpet pros. Beso here, beso there. Chit chats over a glass of 4 seasoned cocktail juice in one hand, while keeping my balance from one foot to the other, is such a social life!



 Being a social butterfly is no easy task! It's too much effort! Most especially when you just want to be a caterpillar and squirm at the fact that the world renowned Brialliante Mendoza is just a few feet away from you. 


This close dude!!!
But I left my confidence at home, so I didn't get a picture with him (there was a group pic though, but it's useless when you don't know who owned that camera. tsk!) So Brilliante was in the end, so near yet so far...


I've never seen his movies until this,  but I've always been a fan of his accomplishments. It brings out such nostalgic pinoy pride in me. It doesn't happen much but when it does, it sure is something. Then when you watch his film you become more in awe of his brilliance! All I can say is that his/ this movie would surely evoke a lot of feelings in you even after the credits have rolled up.

Though I think his film was brilliant in the post-modernism kind of way, it still kind of bothers me that it has to take this kind of theme and genre to be appreciated by the elitist world outside. Perhaps the rawness of the plot caught me off guard to the extent that even I, as a Filipino, is still shocked and bothered by the on goings of this society that I'm living in. It's a sad sad sad reality at the same time it raises the bar of respect towards those who had to live on that kind of life. The way Brilliante directed the film, putting emphasis on the literally tiring journeys and struggles of the characters, makes you feel what it's like to live their life. And it sure is NOT easy! so you gotta give it up to them.

It's ironic how other countries gives accolades to Brilliante's films, when it should have been his very own that should be making noises for him for his vivid depictions of the socio-cultural issues of this country, by dissecting into the everyday lives our Juan and Juana. I bet we would learn a thing or two, especially those in the government.

Beyond all the ugly truths, I sincerely think that Brilliante's films are all about empowering. Opening the senses to the realities around, then absorbing the facts before challenging the viewers on this simple question: What can you do?


HEAVY ??!!!!!!!!! I feel like in 2nd year High School about to submit a free writing composition to Mdm. Generale. Haha!. On the lighter side.....



Moy! there goes my super duper belated bday present.... enjoy!.. ;)

***
blog track

TV on the Radio - Crying


 

2 comments:

  1. wow so brilliant! haha unsay films niya? ignoramos man ko ei ako nailhan ky star cinema films ra man haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should check it out kal... ang lola kai maluoy jud ka... grabi... di ka ka imagine ingnun ana imu kinabuhi.. pero i think more or less paripariha siya ug themes...

    ReplyDelete